by the time i realized i was awake, i felt a jerk on the right side of my belly. oh no....contraction? wait...nope, that's not it. jumping bladder? wait...nope, not it either. froggy in my bed? nope...although i would welcome a frog OVER a contraction these days:)
all of a sudden, i remembered reading something about rhythmic movements and what they could be. i reached over and just propped my hand up where i "thought" the movement was coming from. what do you know, baby girl had the hiccups.
instead of counting sheep to fall back to sleep, i thought i might as well count the hiccups. i missed the first 3-4, i think, so i started at one.....and got to twenty six! i probably should have been a good mommy and gotten up to chug water on her behalf, but i was afraid she'd stop. how mean is that! i was a big nerd just smiling away counting hiccups while the little one inside suffered away. i thought about yelling "boo!" to scare them away for her, but ben would have wet the bed or had a heart attack.
needless to say, i've been up since then. i know, i know......"you better get accustomed to waking up early and getting no sleep". i can't imagine what an adjustment that will be but PLEASE......do not say that to me anymore. i have been very honest in saying i have no clue what changes are about to take place. i am the first to say that everything will be new to me and that i have a lot of learning to do in the baby department. the last thing i need to hear is a reminder about how little i know about my future.
while getting up at 4 a.m. is not the best way to start the day, at least it got me up and thinking about these babies. they are 4 weeks away from their due date. yikes! no pressure....only a few minor details are left to finish.....
- install lighting in nursery
- put bedding on/in cribs
- find changing table covers
- wait for rocker to arrive
- pick up rocker
- wait for dresser drawers to be built
- wait for dresser drawers to be installed
- put everything into drawers, cabinets, etc....but can't until they are here
- huge target run for necessities
- wait for twins breastfeeding pillow to arrive...yes, 2 babies can't fit on a single boppy to feed so they make big rig pillows for mommy's with more than one baby...and no, they are not nearly as cute
- returns to be made/exchanges
- monogram blankets
- monogram outfits
- pack my hospital bag (which was supposed to be packed and ready August 1st)
- pack bag for babies (which can't be packed until i get a few things monogrammed)
- buy a diaper bag
- wait for baby girl's boppy cover to arrive (no wait...pottery barn kids JUST sent me an email saying it's back ordered to september 7th....nice....way to keep a website updated)
- buy camera
- figure out how to use camera
- get rug replaced in den
- cut down rug and re-bind to replace in front sitting room
- baby bathroom (finish up)
- and..........pray that at least 5 things off this list get done before the twins fall out
Hey Maggie! Congrats on the twins- I kow you are thrilled:) I would suggest for a changing pad cover to go to Babies R Us. The best one is in Rivergate. i know it is out of the way, but they have everything (maybe that will cover your last minute necessities, too:)
ReplyDeleteCongrats again!
Kelly (Linville) Thorne
http://cadethorne.blogspot.com
I hope you know how much I love reading your blog. You have such a gift. I know have got to be tired. Hope to see you soon, great to hear about the wonderful report you got today.
ReplyDeleteLibby
I'm so excited for these twins to arrive Maggie! And you are so right, being a new parent makes you feel so clueless, but everyone telling what you should do makes you feel even worse. Everyone gets to be a brand new mother for the first time and make mistakes so enjoy that time! Praying for you guys!
ReplyDeleteHey Maggie! I know we haven't talked in awhile but I have enjoyed keeping up with your blog. TWINS, WOW! I love your list of things to get done before the babies come, but I love even more that you wrote it at 4am. Layla, my 14 month old, got the hiccups atleast 3 times a day in utero. She still gets them a couple times a week. Have fun preparing for your babies. All they really need for atleast the first few months is milk, a place to lay their head (probably on your chest), and hugs from their parents :) Parenthood is the most exhausting blessing ever, but wouldn't change it for a second.
ReplyDeletePraying for you and your little miracles.
Love Lori (Fulton) Kairdolf
I love reading these... don't forget to add "call Catherine" to your to do list! :-) Just kidding... Can't wait to meet the little darlings- hopefully not for a month though!
ReplyDeleteMaggie,
ReplyDeleteI love reading your blog and am so excited about your twins!! Thanks for sharing your story and your adventure! Can't wait to meet them!
I highly recommend getting a DSLR camera by Nikon or Canon b/c none of the point and shoots are fast enough to catch kids and their expressions. You can shoot in auto "green mode" (b/c of the color auto is on the dial) and not have to know anything else about the camera. I am a Canon girl so I don't konw much about Nikon but they are just as good and have something comparable. The Canon T1i and T2i are great! They have HD video too!
Also, we have a new store in Bham, Buy Buy Baby. It is owned by Bed Bath and Beyond and is wonderful!! It has all the Babies R Us stuff plus more, more "green" stuff and boutique items. Check out their website and come visit! Anyway, your changing pad note made me think of this b/c when I was in there the other day I saw this and wish they had had the 3 pack instead of the 1 included with your cover when I had Ryan.
It is the Boppy changing pad liners. That way you have the changing pad cover and then this, so 2 layers when the top one gets messed up. Saves changing the whole thing for just a bit. Get lots of these!
As for the twin nursing pillow - if it is the one I have seen, The brest friend, you will like that much better than a boppy. I never liked using the boppy for myself, just on the floor for him. The pillow I had was thicker and firmer more like the one I have seen and you will like it much better than a boppy.
Tell Ica hi and ya'll need to come to Buy Buy Baby! You would love it!