Tuesday, August 17, 2010

i've grown wings...

the infamous week 34...oh, how we can see you on the horizon!  let me be extremely honest with you.  i don't understand how week 34 was plucked out of the twin pregnancy timeline as the big milestone that it is.  there are quite a few fabulous women i know that had their little ones before this.  there twins are beautiful, handsome, or both and are living life to the fullest; however, doctors still insist that 34 weeks in- utero is an achievement!

here are some of the facts about week 34...

  • Her skin is also smoother than ever. Her central nervous system is maturing and her lungs are continuing to mature as well. If you've been nervous about preterm labor, you'll be happy to know that babies born between 34 and 37 weeks who have no other health problems generally do fine. They may need a short stay in the neonatal nursery and may have a few short-term health issues, but in the long run, they usually do as well as full-term babies.
  • This is the month that a multiple pregnancy will be so much different than that of a single pregnancy.If your babies are born now, they may need to spend a little bit of time in the intensive care unit. The babies lungs are beginning to produce surfactant , which will help the babies lungs to expand for their first breath. 
  • Due to increased urination, vivid dreams, anxiety and difficulty finding a comfortable position, you may be having a hard time sleeping. It is important that you rest as much as possible during these last few weeks. (in other words, because you are now crazy + uncomfortable + peeing like a race horse, you might as well wear a "Miss Insomnia" sash and carry a crown and sceptor)

i am sure there are many smart, well-educated doctors that have analyzed these and many more teeny, tiny bits of data that lead them to believe that this week is "golden."  i just wish these intelligent people knew that preggo ladies either lose their minds or go into preterm labor in anxiety about reaching this esteemed goal.  i, have done the former.

this past week, i have hopped on the one-way train to the looney bin.  seriously.  i am either up at 3 a.m. analyzing everything from my hospital wardrobe to thinking about how to coordinate the twins' for christmas this year.  the next minute, i'm thinking about what my "last supper" will be the night before the twins come out to how i'm going to feel like i'm back at massey (our sorority dorm at ut) again showering in flip flops at the hospital.  yes...as bethenny frankel would say "one has flown over the cuckoo's nest"....and her name is maggie.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to Club Looney! You have done a fantastic job carrying these precious babies so you now have my permission to go absolutely WACKO! Take this time to enjoy your license for crazy! P.S. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maggie, I don't know if you remember me from UT but Courtney Brown told me that you were pregnant with twins...and we are too! I just love reading your blog because I am just ahead of you on the timeline (36 weeks on Saturday) and I get a kick out of your posts because those exact same thoughts keep me up at 3AM when I am wishing for sleep. I just hope my husband doesn't think I am crazy by the end of all of this :) Good to know that I'm not the only one out there with a mind running wild on me! I remember making it to 34 weeks and being so overjoyed too...hope you're feeling okay these last few weeks! Take care.
    ~Christy Colgan Hunter

    ReplyDelete