Friday, October 29, 2010

eating my own words...

before i was blessed with minnie & tully, i often looked at other mommies and said "oh that will never be me".  oh my, i might as well get a shovel and eat those words now!  i decided to make a mini-list of these things as a little treat for you all to enjoy over the halloween weekend...

top 10 things i said i'd never do as a mommy are as follows:

10. i said i'd never hold them all of the time (haha...i now hold 2 at a time)
9.   i said i'd never let them sit for a second in a dirty diaper (if they are sleeping, i say sleep and stink:)
8.   i said i'd never be afraid to take them anywhere (i wipe THEM down with wet wipes and bathe them
      as soon as our feet hit the doorstep almost)
7.   i said i'd never curse in front of them (ooops)
6.   i said i'd never give them mylicon drops b/c babies are too little and their bodies are not ready to be
      attacked with "products" (oh i love these things now for the past 2 good sleep-filled nights they've
      given us)
5.  i said i'd never drive out and about in the car to make them fall asleep (if you were
     near murfreesboro's downtown square monday night, you could have spotted the 3 of us driving
     around and around the circle about fifty times)
4.  i said i'd never brag about my babies the way other mommies do (that lasted merely until my
     medication wore off at the hospital)
3.  i said i wouldn't miss a single sunday at church b/c god has blessed us SO very much (ummmm, i
     haven't even made it back to a single service yet.  ask for my forgiveness please when you go)
2.  i said i'd never ask for anything again once god gave me a baby (i have already asked HIM AND
     SANTA for things)
1.  i said i'd never look like "you know what" in public the way new mommies to be often do (ahh....if
     you had seen me at the grocery the other day you would have politely told me to wipe the spit up
     off my shoulder and to wash my 4-day old nappy, dirty hair)

i am learning as i go that i truly had NO clue what mommy hood entailed.  i use to look at other mommies and yes, even gossip about other mommies...i should have kept my naive little mouth closed.  you don't know what it is like until you ARE one for yourself.  and for me, i still don't know what i'm doing!

that being said, it is so fun.  it is so rewarding.  it is so tiring.  it is so frustrating. it is so crazy.  it is so perfect.  it is so imperfect.  it is ALL of these things.  that is what makes it the "ride" that it is.  i feel like i've hopped on...but have forgotten to buckle myself in.

5 comments:

  1. Ha! Love this! All of us new mommies have said the same things. That's the fun in being a new mommy, learning never to say never and learning how to survive. BTW, I'm sure you look way better than I ever did 2 months postpartum. More pics of the babies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maggie....I just laughed out loud. Doesn't having kids truly change everything....especially perspective!!! I love keeping up with your blog and so glad you are doing so well. The babies are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maggie....I am laughing out loud. Doesn't having kids change everything....especially perspective! I love keeping up with your blog and am so glad everything is going so well. The babies are beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. these days, my favorite is "Because I said so". I stop myself from saying it about as often as the words actually come out of my mouth! I always shook my head when I heard people say that, thinking "that's not really an answer to the question "WHY?" "....sometimes, it totally is :) Not the most developmentally appropriate answer, but still.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is oh so true!! You can't judge until you are in these shoes :) You have such an amazing gift of words. I wish I could express myself the way you do. I know it can be amazing therapy! I hope you, Ben and the twins are doing well. It only gets better. We are loving month 5!! Their little personalities really come out and make all the hard work worthwhile!! Please lets get the babies together in December!!
    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your new precious family!!

    ReplyDelete